The Problems a Mice Infestation Can Cause for a Homeowner
Mice infestations are a common problem for many homeowners in San Jose, California. Mice can cause a variety of issues that can be both inconvenient and potentially dangerous.
Mice can look adorable, but they can cause a lot of problems
The Problems that a Mice Infestation Can Cause
- Property Damage - Mice can cause significant damage to your property. They will chew through anything that they can get their teeth on, including wires, insulation, and even wood. This can cause costly damage to your home and potentially create a fire hazard.
- Health Risks - Mice are known carriers of various diseases, including salmonella and hantavirus. Exposure to their droppings and urine can cause serious health issues for you and your family.
- Food Contamination - Mice will get into your pantry and contaminate your food, which can cause illness if you consume it. This can be particularly dangerous if you have young children or elderly family members.
- Foul Odors - Mice can leave behind a foul odor that can be difficult to get rid of. This odor can be particularly strong if they have died in your walls or attic.
A mouse can cause all kinds of problems
Spotting a Mouse Infestation
Mice are notorious for being able to hide in small, dark spaces, and it can be challenging to detect a mouse infestation until it's too late. Here are some signs to look out for:
- Droppings - Mice leave behind small, pellet-shaped droppings that can be found in areas where they frequent, such as near food sources or in corners.
- Gnaw Marks - Mice will chew on anything to keep their teeth sharp, including wood, wires, and even plastic. Look for gnaw marks on baseboards, wires, and furniture.
- Scratching Noises - If you hear scratching or scurrying noises in the walls, attic, or crawl space, it's a good indication that you have mice in your home.
- Nests - Mice will create nests out of shredded paper, fabric, and other materials. Look for these nests in secluded areas of your home, such as in the attic or behind furniture.
Always an unwelcomed sight
Tips for Getting Rid of a Mice Infestation
If you have a mice infestation, there are some steps you can take to try to get rid of them:
- Seal Entry Points - Mice can squeeze through small gaps and cracks in your home's exterior. Seal any entry points with caulk or steel wool to prevent them from getting inside.
- Keep Your Home Clean - Mice are attracted to food and clutter. Keep your home clean, particularly in the kitchen and pantry areas.
- Use Traps - Snap traps and glue traps can be effective in catching mice. Place them in areas where you've spotted signs of mice.
- Use Repellents - Ultrasonic repellents emit high-frequency sounds that mice find unpleasant. These can be effective in keeping mice out of certain areas of your home.
If you're averse to the traditional snap-traps, here's one way to capture a mouse.
Why Hire a Professional Pest Control Exterminator
While there are steps you can take to try to get rid of a mouse infestation, the most effective solution is to hire a professional pest control exterminator. Van Hooser Enterprises has been a reliable pest control company in the greater San Jose area since the 1940s.
Here are some reasons why it's a good idea to hire a professional:
- Knowledge and Experience - Pest control professionals have the knowledge and experience to identify the type of pest you're dealing with and the best way to remove them.
- Safe and Effective Solutions - Professional exterminators use safe and effective methods to remove pests from your home, including the use of eco-friendly treatments.
- Long-Term Solutions - Professional exterminators can help you implement long-term solutions to prevent pests from returning.
The Best Way to Treat a Mice Infestation
Mice infestations can be a nuisance and cause various problems for homeowners in San Jose, California.
It’s essential to be able to spot a mouse infestation and take steps to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Your best bet is to hire a professional Van Hooser Enterprises.
We are experienced in dealing with all types of pest infestations and can provide the best advice and solutions for your situation.
Eric Van Hooser (Head mice exterminator at Van Hooser Enterprises pest control company in San Jose CA)
What to Do Now
For mice infestations in your home in the greater San Jose area, it’s best to leave treatment to professional mice exterminators - Van Hooser Enterprises. Call or click below...or use our contact page.